February 13, 2009

This is not a hierarchy

For the past almost 25 years, I've successfully managed to avoid V-Day. In a manner of speaking, as fully avoiding it would be rather time and energy consuming given the fact that everything turns red and chocolaty one week earlier. I've been anti-establishment and critical of this uber-commercial celebration of love, heartbroken and feeling sorry for myself, madly in love and in no need of a special day to celebrate it, every year I could find a reason. But not this year. I am bored with ignoring V-Day or making some nasty comment about it. Instead, I made a list. My totally favorite couples of all times.
  • Stan Marsh & Wendy Testaburger. Things are plain and simple. There's no room for doubts or uncertainties. Stan throws up whenever Wendy talks to him (and everybody knows Stan only throws up when he's in love), Wendy is a very resolute little girl (Stay away from my man, bitch, or I'll whip your sorry ass back to yesterday) and leave it to them to find the easy way out of a relationship (Bebe: Wendy breaks up with you. Stan: Wait a minute, what did I do wrong? I haven't even talked to Wendy in weeks).
  • Master & Margarita. They do not deserve the light, they deserve peace. And they'll never be separated again.
  • Ana & Gruia. The phrase "match made in heaven" was coined because somebody, a long time ago, had a great intuition that these two would meet and eventually (it did take them some time) end up together. They are not fictional characters, but they may very well be, that's how unique and wonderful they are.
  • Dante & Kacy. Yes, they are the couple from the book. I loved them from their very first appearance in Santa Mondega. She's a grade A student, he's a grade A moron. A combination that works perfectly every time.
  • Mom & Dad. Great job, you guys! If I grow up to have half the harmony you have after all those years (but who's been counting?) I'll be more than happy. I can only hope you pass the secret on, when needed.
  • Sid & Nancy. Now I don't particularly fantasize about being killed by a crack head boyfriend, nor about ruining his nonexistent career. I'm not going to start digging just to get to the source of my admiration for these two, let's just say I haven't fully outgrown adolescence, so weird role-models are still allowed.
  • Bonnie & Clyde. A bit on the edge (maybe too on the edge). Much like Sid & Nancy, they are not to be taken too seriously, but I've always liked people who exaggerate, who take everything to extremes, to the very last consequences.
  • Henry Miller & Anais Nin. They were intense and passionate. The kind of people who burn. He wrote. She wrote. Did I forget something?

1 comment:

Biluś said...

Laurel and Hardy