February 4, 2009

Case study

We will call the subjects of today's study Pani Doktor 1 and Pani Doktor 2. Since the main purpose of my being in Katowice is studying, writing my final paper and training myself for the MA in wonderful Warszawa, I do have to interact with the people in the University. I've figured out by now (it broke my heart, but that's the truth) that there are people on this planet who don't like me. Which is acceptable, but if you are responsible for my learning process, you should at least act professional, display a fake smile and pretend to care. Because that is your job, dearest Pani Doktor 1, you get paid for this. I don't want you to be my friend, we don't have to go out for coffee and talk about my future plans, but I expect you to be less biased and make it less obvious that you like some people and don't like some others. As our group of foreign students was not exactly a homogeneous one, it was clear from the very beginning that the ones who speak perfect Polish are the only likeable people, whereas the rest of us, who were here to learn some more, to improve, we were the despicable ones. If we also refused to take part in some of the extra-curricular activities, we were doomed. But still, it's a huge step from not liking me to ignoring me / not hearing me / not being in the mood to reply when I say hello. This pisses me off.
Pani Doktor 2, on the other hand, was not responsible for my learning process in any way. We met thanks to my totally awesome Theory of Literature professor. She didn't seem to mind the fact that I sometimes mix up the cases or use the wrong verb. I speak Polish well enough as to be able to explain what my paper is about, and that's all that mattered. She practically took me by the hand and showed me the most wonderful place in Kato - the Silesian Library - and we spent a very enjoyable afternoon drinking coffee, talking about poetry, translations, vegetarian food, travelling, Kato and Warsaw, her writings and mine.
Now I'm curious about something: how come Pani Doktor 2 has impecable looks (she reminds me of Anna Wintour), is warm and nice without being over-friendly, whereas Pani Doktor 1... well, let's just say I'd rather not comment on this aspect. Is there some secret formula, that cool women apply successfully, and that uncool women fail to understand?

1 comment:

Biluś said...

My guess is the PD1 is somewhat insecure, despite her elevated position - just keep smiling at her, whether it's returned or not. You never know, it may even get through (with your obvious charm it's a better than even chance!).