May 30, 2009

No use crying for something you don't have

It sometimes takes very little to change a mood bordering depression. Some other times, it takes pills, shrinks and booze. Luckily, this time it took very little. Gumczas is one of our regular customers, a fan of South Park and the kind of person who always stops for a chat when dropping by to have a beer. It so happened that tonight he asked me when was I planning to take off to Warsaw, I told him I wasn't, and in a nutshell I managed to deliver the whole story of the past two weeks. He said it was not worth crying for something I didn't have, and then we talked some more about my other options, he minded his beer and I minded my bartending. But the mere fact that he told me, plain and simple, something so obvious, was a great deal of help. In fact, it was the best thing I've heard ever since I started whining and being totally under the weather. Of course I knew it, deep down inside, I just didn't say it out loud. It's been great hearing it and repeating it, and in the end I came to terms with this new situation. I don't think he has any idea of the consequences of his words, but I'll make sure to tell him the next time.
In the meantime, Mom told me it snowed back home (the horror!), my Dad, who's never had any direct connection with the press (he's had a lot of indirect connections, Mom & I took care of it) made his debut today and I'm just dying to read his text, I got a message from a good old friend which warmed my heart and brought me an extra smile and I got graded for a class I didn't take. It was a 5, by the way, so I was very proud of my academic performances.
It's time for a shopping spree later on today. Shoes, vodka, anti wrinkle serum, triple sec and bracelets. I think Ina will be the only one to truly appreciate the delights and the artistic significance of a Cosmopolitan or two or three in the tent. In fact, she's been the one to understand and appreciate a lot of things, from my hysteria to my unreasonable enthusiasm, sharing stories over lattes on Monday mornings, standing by me and getting bored during afternoon classes and encouraging the revival of bright colours for my spring / summer collection. And even though she did not respond to my call for applications, as she was not reading my blog back then, I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out eventually.


No comments: