May 21, 2009

Crisis

Some time ago, it was rumored that the world is going through an economic crisis as never seen before. It affected the stock market, the banks, the fashion industry, animal rights activists, corporations, the coral reefs, entrepreneurs, religious and sexual minorities.
But before they even knew what was going on, one particular group had already been ravaged by the crisis: Romanian publishing houses, cultural magazines and mainly all cultural organizations, institutions, foundations and associations. All of a sudden, their old practice had become somewhat legitimate. They never really understood the terms of their own contracts (especially when it came to making payments) and they never really had any respect for the people working for them. What they didn't have, until the crisis became popular, was a good excuse. Now they have it. Of course they still have demands. Could you? Would you? Is it possible? Please, try to... Incapable of saying no, I'd always say "sure, no problem, will do, when do you need it?" and then call my parents to ask for some extra-money (strict deadlines require extra amounts of coffee, extra packs of cigarettes and new shoes). So it's like this: I work, Mom & Dad pay. Now I wouldn't see any problem with that, if I worked for my parents. But I don't.

When you have one unpaid contract, it's no big deal, you can wait a while. When you have two, it's time to ask yourself some questions. When you have three or more, it means you're downright stupid. Given the very good opinion I have about myself, it was hard to admit I was downright stupid, but in the end I had to.


Yes, there are some exceptions. I'm just not going to talk about them now because I am pissed off. I'll try to calm down using the good old method and go buy myself a new pair of shoes.



No comments: