May 15, 2009

Me first

Everyone else will have to wait. Especially everyone who wants something from me, especially if they want it done the day before yesterday. I've switched myself to "school-mode" and it's quite a pleasant feeling, but then again there was no way out. One month left to go and I still have to complete my paper and get ready for the exams. The bright part is that I'm going back to Bucharest in June (even if it's going to be for a little while) and I'm so happy I feel like dancing around the house whenever I remember that. So now I'm spending most of my previously nonexistent spare time in the library, reading and writing and hoping that I somehow manage to pull through.
Luckily, last weekend I've fully recharged my batteries. Mainly due to the two days spent with Vero, which have taught me a few valuable lessons. She's always been the rational one, so it's no wonder that talking to her helped clear things up. We did figure out, among other things, that our lives are perfectly ok just the way they are, and even if we are growing old we did manage to accomplish some things and we can be quite proud if we feel like looking back from time to time. She also made a very good point when telling me that my tendency to fictionalize life is worthless unless I take it to its very last consequences. But I sometimes just don't have the nerve to do it. On the other hand, I'm old enough to try. And we agreed that the comeback of the hippie fad is not for us. And so we talked our way through Katowice and Krakow, debating life, shoes, men, muslims, computers, translations, cultural shocks, food, concerts, the tent, commitments and decisions.

We said goodbye just as we would have said it back when we were both back home, and we knew we could easily meet the next day. No tears, no dramas, no promises and no plans. I took it as a confirmation of our growing up process, which we took one step further. We know by now we'll always be there for each other, so getting back to our own lives was easy and natural. And energizing.
So I came back from Krakow happy and light (the children of the flower are calling, even if I refuse to wear their clothes), prioritized, took a break, became efficient, planned my chores and ate my veggies. I still didn't learn how to say "no" and there's some things I just couldn't stop thinking about (my fictional lives), but then again this has now very little importance.

No comments: