May 2, 2009

Goddamn stereotypes

Poland is full of stereotypes about Romanians. In the eyes of most Poles* we're all gypsies, poor, we live in some underprivileged country and we can barely make ends meet. This of course pisses me off every now and then, for two reasons: 1. because they have no idea what they're talking about and I hate it when people talk just for the sake of hearing the sound of their own voice and 2. because I have to build up some patriotic discourse which makes me feel uneasy, as I've never had a healthy amount of patriotism and I never really gave a crap about the places people come from (that includes me).
That's why the best part of the Festival in Krakow was not me getting back to the kind of work I was used to, after having lazily spent a few months polishing my Polish and my bartending skills. It wasn't the great fun I had, either.
The best part was this: hundreds of people enjoying Shukar Collective and their kick-ass concert, a crowd fascinated by the flawless performances of Masca Theatre (photoblog here), a club full of people dancing to the music of Romanian DJs.
Onstage and offstage, they were beautiful, colourful and talented, so I somehow took their success as a personal one (in the way that I made a point, nothing more).

*the funny thing is, it's the eyes of those people who have never ever in their lives experienced Romania, directly or indirectly. Those who have traveled there, or those who have had some contact with it, are rather moderate. They did notice the good parts and the bad ones, but at least they got rid of all the cliches. And there's a few others who are curious, they ask questions and plan to take trips to Ro. So at least they're willing to give it a try and see for themselves.

No comments: