May 6, 2010

Book parties, tattoos, ballroom dance

That's what I've been up to lately.
The weather seems to have a strange effect upon me and I was very close to never living the house again, or at least until May stopped looking and feeling like November. This is probably the coldest spring in forever. However, interesting things have been going on:
  • went to a book party where the publisher got so drunk he could barely speak, yet he insisted to do so and obviously it was hilarious. At some point I had to keep stuffing cheese cake in my mouth just to prevent a very inappropriate burst of laughter in the middle of yet another speech about the book. It was the first book party that resembled a wedding or a family reunion, as we were actually sitting down at long, wooden tables with candles and enough food to feed a small village, and I almost felt sorry there wasn't a band.
  • got my first tattoos - one of them is still peeling so once it starts looking decent I'll post pics.
  • my cousin, whom I haven't seen since we were 12, showed up out of nowhere and apparently she lives in Milan and has promised to take me out shopping after the Gogol Bordello concert, just three weeks from now. I've never been a fan of my family, except for my parents and my Gran, but I'm a fool for tacky soap-opera scenarios, so I'm kinda looking forward to this meeting.
  • went to a Polish wedding and survived - I've been warned there'd be lots of vodka, which was true, but saying "No, thank you" proved to be easy and effective, so I really enjoyed it and now I can't wait for my other friends to celebrate their very brave decisions with lots of cake and really really cheesy music.
  • decided to take dance lessons. Apparently very few schools will teach you ballroom dance if you're single, so my only options seemed to be belly dancing, latino mix, salsa for singles and hip hop. Luckily, out of 20-something schools on my list, 7 will not discriminate against singles so next week I'll be checking them out and very soon I'll be out shopping for dancing shoes.

2 comments:

chuckie said...

omg!!! the tattoo part sounds like you, but shopping in milan?!!!

Ruxandra said...

:)) that sounds like my cousin, but I'll never say no to a new pair of shoes...