April 11, 2010

The other side of the mirror

One month ago, part of my inner world collapsed. True, it had the consistency of a sandcastle and its demolition in the blink of an eye was rather predictable. Nevertheless, I was torn apart and overwhelmed by sadness. Then all I wanted was to get away. To escape into the outer world, thinking that the ruins might magically disappear if I just looked the other way. But the outer world was non-responsive and it followed its course as if my drama wasn't even there. So I had to consume it in order to overcome it, even though the days seemed empty and it took me four weeks to remember how much I valued my happiness and just how great my inner world was, even without the sandcastle.
Now all I want is to isolate myself from the outer world. I'd want my inner world to be strong enough to shelter me from sadness, I've never been good at dealing with my negative emotions. The mere thought that I have to pass by the Presidential Palace on the way to work makes me shiver.
Turns out there's no escape. And though there may be times when the inner world and the outer one are on the same wavelength, some other times it's almost impossible to run away from one into the other. But it would be nice if it didn't take sadness to overcome sadness and one shock to forget about another one.

No comments: