April 17, 2010

Facts and fiction

I'm a fool for catastrophes and apocalyptic scenarios. I think I've seen more disaster films than I'd ever be willing to admit. Earthquakes, floods, fires, volcanoes, asteroid collisions, hurricanes, acid rains, killer bees / snakes / rats, tornadoes, landslides, aliens - you name it, I've seen it. Even the crappiest, most embarrassing and poorly directed disaster made in Hollywood will keep me hypnotized for hours. I won't move, breathe or talk (!) for as long as the world is falling apart in front of me. These films are just like gummy bears - different colors, same taste, unproblematic and they leave me wanting more every time. With books, it's quite the opposite. Sure, I've read and loved the apocalyptic scenarios of Saramago, Auster and H.G. Wells but there's more to these books than just disaster, whereas the literary equivalents of the above mentioned films have no effect upon me.
So now, with the ash cloud from the unpronounceable volcano above my head, I may have found the perfect treat for a lazy Saturday afternoon: White Noise by Don DeLillo. There's nothing I love more than an appropriate fictional response to a real situation. Saves me from elaborating my own fictions and lately I've been doing that quite a lot. A well deserved and very enjoyable break.

No comments: