March 24, 2010

Something wrong in this picture

This morning I thought hell broke loose right in the middle of my apartment. The phone was ringing off the hook and my cell did its best to accompany it, my neighbors were drilling holes - in their walls and apparently in everybody else's, that's got to be the only logical explanation and an ambulance pride parade seemed to be taking place right outside my window. As it was only 7:10, I didn't bother to pick up any of the phones, I ignored the mayhem and went back to sleep until my laptop started squealing, invaded by about one hundred trojans and worms in less than five minutes. This was already too much. And the phones were still ringing. I had to take things one at a time so coffee was definitely a priority. Armed with an extra-large cup of searing hot coffee, I went back to check on my laptop. Keeping my eyes open was a real torture, but I managed to stay focused. And just when I was about to fix the problem, the doorbell rang. And rang. It occurred to me that somebody might have died with their finger stuck on my doorbell, then again I couldn't care less about them. The sound had scared the hell out of me and, as a result, I spilled half of my extra-large cup of coffee all over my laptop. Trojan problem solved. For good, I guess. Turns out the guy who was so impatient to pay me a visit before 8 was just checking if the lights were ok. It was already so surreal, I didn't even feel like making any comment. The people calling were a sales agent who wanted to know if I was familiar with a brand new line of pressure cookers and a woman from my bank making a survey about the quality of their services.
As I walked to work, I noticed Warsaw was unbelievably quiet. I almost felt embarrassed when my phone started ringing. I had the impression that all heads were turning in my direction, as if we were in an open-air museum where the only acceptable sounds are the singing benches. Yes, Warsaw's gone Chopin crazy.
After about ten minutes of serenity it was back to chaos all over again, as some of the offices in the building are being refurbished. If things go on like this, there's only one option left: increasing the nicotine intake and the number of cigarette breaks out in the sun, on a singing bench.

No comments: