November 15, 2009

Turn on, tune in, drop out

I've tried to cope with the fact that on the reading list for my MA in Translation Studies there is not a single book on theory of translation, with the lack of updated information about translation techniques, even with the recommendation that we should ask Google for help when in doubt (I thought that goes somehow without saying, and even though I love Google and appreciate all the help & support, I can't actually base my academic career on his teachings). I did my best to translate contracts, letters of attorney, texts about companies and capital and memorandums of association, even texts about microscopes and tools and printers.
When I figured out this is all we'll be doing, I was very disappointed, for it has nothing to do with my future plans and the translations I see myself doing.
I also figured out that lately I've had very little time for myself, so everything I do outside work has to be meaningful and strongly connected to the things I plan to write and do in the following years. I can't afford to waste any more time, except for the 8 hours I spend in the office.
And that's why I'm done with that MA, taking the matter into my own hands and doing some reading on my own, while switching back to Philology, for the time being. And hopefully, by the time I start writing my PhD, I'll find myself at the right Uni, with a better reading list.

2 comments:

Biluś said...

Loving the clarity and determination - what's the secret? :-)

Ruxandra said...

It's a time management issue - once I traded 8 hours of my life, 5 days a week, for a fixed income, I finally understood how valuable my spare time was, and that I should make the best of it.