November 12, 2009

The grumpiest morning of them all

November is a very tough month to handle in Poland. I don't remember it being so problematic back in Romania, what I do remember is that last year I wanted to forget this month ever existed in my calendar. By the end of it, I was totally depressed and it took me quite a lot to get over the mess in my head and get back to my old self.
Luckily, this year things seem to be going a little better, not in the way that my days start with a boost of energy and enthusiasm, but rather in the way that they don't end in tears or dissatisfaction.
However, an unexpected twist of events is threatening my stability and forcing me to step out of my comfort zone, thus raising my anxiety level.
For some reason, the administrator of my building decided November was a good time for us to change the pipes in our flats. This leads to a series of complications, from the mere fact that you can't take one step outside without looking dustier and messier than the workers who actually do work and you'd expect them to be dusty and messy, to new sleeping behaviours, as most likely, starting 7 a.m., there'll be some banging, smashing and drilling that's impossible to ignore. And let's not forget that water supplies are scarce and you never know when the taps run dry. It may very well be on a morning like this. I think it was before 7 that a bunch of joyful workers knocked on my door, just to check if the pipes were ok and to see if the wall needs refurbishing (the answers are yes and yes). Then I heard some strange noise and for a second I thought the whole building would collapse. Let's say I could have lived with that, but not managing to rinse my hair properly and using only leave-in conditioner, now that sucks big time.
So I sort of solve the hair problem, leave the house without drinking my coffee, 15 minutes later I'm at the office, only to find out that the building is being refurbished.
It's not even noon and I'm exhausted, I have a bad hair day, I hate drinking my first coffee at the office, the weather is extra-shitty and in exactly 10 minutes I have a meeting.
Still, I'm very happy I'm not depressed. Over the years, I've had quite a reasons to cry, most of them fictional, true, nevertheless I considered them good reasons. But I've never cried because of pipes and it wasn't exactly something I was striving to add to the list.

P.S. I just published this post on the Learn Polish With Sam & Bilus blog :)

7 comments:

Biluś said...

Given the tragi-comedy that is the human condition, I really think 'not in the way that my days start with a boost of energy and enthusiasm, but rather in the way that they don't end in tears or dissatisfaction' is a very sound position to be in - and I think I'm about there, too!

Ruxandra said...

Maybe we can start a club :) although it's kinda sad, if you think about it - it's a way of settling for less. Then again, when everything else fails, all that's left is lowering standards...

Biluś said...

The OK Luck Club?

Ruxandra said...

Kewl :)

Veruletz said...

Can I join? I’ve managed not to end my days in tears for more than 2 weeks already. Maybe the fact that lately we had a small kid in our appartment was a factor…I wouldn’t want to traumatize her :)

Ruxandra said...

Dude, sure you can, but really now... a kid? That's what I call a drastic measure.

Veruletz said...

the kid is not ours :)