November 3, 2009

Berlin, part 2: all the other experiences

So we've had our fair share of poetry. We found out stuff about cultural organizations and projects, we met some very cool people and experienced the kind of professional yet laid back and relaxed attitude which leads to things getting done with double the fun.
But we weren't there just for the poems and the music.
Despite the fact that I can't stand hearing German - I find it very irritating, which might sound odd, coming from someone who's practically mad about a Slavic language that's not exactly beautiful either - I have to say I caught the virus. I finally understood why some of my best friends were so excited about Berlin. The city is exceptionally user friendly, inspiring and tonic. And even though it may seem random, rather like a puzzle with misfitting pieces, it's so wonderfully organized, that it's impossible to feel at a loss. It feels just right from the very first minutes, as if there was a different Berlin for each, perfectly adapting and adjusting itself to its people. No wonder it felt so familiar from the moment I got off the train. And this is highly unusual for me, since I get anxious in new places, at least until I get to taste their coffee, which is my dating ritual when it comes to cities. Berlin and I could have been a perfect match, if only it didn't speak German.








Since I only had little time to explore it, I decided to give up the "act-like-a-local" routine and adopt the "act-like-the-tourist-that-you are" routine. I must say I find the first one rather overrated, now they even print maps for tourists who want to act like locals, and taking into account the fact that I only had one day and a few hours at my disposal, in this particular situation it was useless to pretend I was something else than a mere tourist.







Meeting Ana was definitely one of the highlights. Since we no longer get to spend that much time together, we seem to have developed a pattern for our once in a blue moon meetings. First there's this unbelievably quick download of information, just to make sure we're updated so that we can actually start talking. Then comes the smart part, which most of the times means we come up with a project or a plan or at least an article that we write together. Later on, there's finally room for other people. This time, there was room for the poets. They turned out to be a cheerful and very entertaining companionship, just perfect for late night walks and talks, so it was pretty much predictable we'd be kicked out of the last pub that was still open and end up in one of the hotel rooms, talking and laughing and drinking our night away. Strangely enough, once we're done with the intellectual and social aspects of our meeting, there seems to be a system malfunction on both sides which most of the times leads to nonsense. This time, we ended up buying Hello Kitty liquid candy and identical caps so that we can be telepathic. Luckily, we were quickly back on track and managed to focus on the interviews and the cover stories we were to write.



The caps did work: back in our respective cities, we were both depressed. I was back in Warsaw on a particularly weird day - All Saints Day, when there's no one in the streets, no shops are open, and it's a challenge to find an open pub. Fortunately, I was quickly brought back to reality, mostly because a friend of mine told me there's no ideal time or place to start doing something - you just have to do it. And that's exactly how it's going to be.

5 comments:

Biluś said...

Doch ich liebe die Sprache Deutsch sprechen zu hören - es klingt so reich!

Ruxandra said...

Thank you blogger for not allowing voice messages :) I'm ok with reading German.

Alexandra said...

fuck it! la anu' fac road trip cu praga-berlin-varsovia (ordinea e aleatoare, evident) te bagi? :D

Ruxandra said...

Claaaaar! Si sa stii ca am devenit un copilot mult mai talentat, la modul ca acum chiar citesc harti si indicatoare, nu doar beau cafele si fumez si dau din gura pe locul din dreapta. Deci da :D

Alexandra said...

it's a date then! pe autostrazile europei!