April 2, 2009

Indoor activities

My neighbor from across the street (actually the door opposite to mine, but I like to pretend the akademik is a small village) is having a party. The music is growling, the strums of the guitars omen the apocalypse and everybody's screaming kurwa. No other words are uttered. I think it's his birthday party. As I was in a very good mood today, I thought of baking him a nice cake in the kitchen down the street, wear an all-pink outfit and my best smile and drop by to say hello-happy b-day-kurwa, but I was afraid my ears would start bleeding if I get any closer to that door. I had to go out and pick my stuff from the laundry down the street, and passing his door gave me a short but intense headache, so early in the afternoon I gave up the idea of being nice to my neighbor.
Instead, I focused on some of my favourite indoor activities. I spent almost the entire day writing about Polish poetry of the Warsaw ghetto, reading about the ghetto - facts and fiction - and took a break every now and then to add something to my bookie. I took a nap in the afternoon (this is luxury) and woke up when the DHL delivery guy knocked on my door, with a suprise pack from Maxi, who sent me a very intriguing book and ladybird chocolates.
Tomorrow I might consider outdoor activities. I'll take Herbert (my imaginary dog) out for a walk in the forest, spin the pois around, as it's been a while since I last did that, and feed the ducks and/or the wild boars.

I need inspiration. My colleague from Nigeria told me Africa is inspirational. I'm considering applying for a volunteer program there. Actually, for the past two months I've been thinking about leaving Europe for a while, and becoming a volunteer is the best scenario I could come up with. It may be just the thing I need now. Some time ago, when I told Maxi about this, she was one of the few people who didn't tell me it's a stupid idea. Instead, she told me this: "you always seem to look for that very thing which will keep you excited for a long time or at least until you've got a new idea". How accurate is that?

I like this month. It has a very promising beginning.

3 comments:

Biluś said...

How exciting to go to Africa - promise you'll wear pink and say 'kurwa' to honour the period of time when you made such a momentous decision...

Ruxandra said...

Absolutely. I'm even considering dying my hair pink. How sweet of you to be joining the club of those who don't take my Africa trip seriously :) I'll send you a postcard. Probably number 87, but kurwa, who's been counting?

Biluś said...

Oh, i know u serious!