August 7, 2008

Survival kit


The first option was doing nothing, watching the days and nights go by. It worked for about one week, and then I got bored. I also overdosed on cigarettes, so I had to cut down on my smoking. This brought about the worse possible mood mixture in history: depression and boredom. I never actually knew how to fight them one at a time, not to mention the two of them combined. So I started a quest for remedies. Reading. Many thanks to Kundera, Milosz, Jonathan Safran Foer and Andrew Cowan. Helpful, but not helpful enough. Movies. Wajda's movies. Watched almost all of them. Not the best choice, under the circumstances. Beer. Ice cream. Going out. Dying my hair. Cutting my hair. Endless talks with my girls. This summer is not the best for any of us. Spent half a day watching a documentary on the Warsaw Uprising. Spent the other half reading about the second world war and listening to my Granny's stories about the war. Again, not the best choice. Cleaning my desk, my wardrobe, my files and folders. Planning and thinking ahead. But it's too early for the future. Writing. Learning photoshop. Still didn't work, but at least it was funnier than the war. Polish grammar (ok, so could we please make the numeral a bit simpler?!). South Park. Re-re-reruns. World of Warcraft. Shopping (this used to be another wonderful addiction. Hope my dissatisfaction is just temporary). There's one other thing I might try. Should try: working. I'm totally running out of time, changed the deadline, gained some more time, still have something like 100 pages and one month to translate them. The quest will continue for another day or so. Then I'll probably get bored.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes one must let depression do it's thing and it will go away(it works in may case anyway).and how can you be bored when you do so many things?

Ruxandra said...

That's the conclusion I reached, eventually. But I'm beginning to lose my patience :) and boredom, well, that's a different story. Unfortunately, I get bored very easily. Fortunately, I'm not running out of ideas. There has to be a cure.