January 29, 2012

Havana City, Havana crazy

It had to finally happen. Two months after our return from Cuba, I started missing it so much I find it almost unreal. I still remember all the things I didn't like about it, the things that made me feel uncomfortable, insecure, unhappy, emotionally drained. And yet all these seem to fade away, or at least partly, luckily they are still in my diary and I don't fully rely on my memory to recreate the image of Cuba and of our first trip there. But leaving my diary aside for now, here's what kept coming back to me these days (and yes, Los Van Van did play an important part in idealizing my recent past):

Los Van Van - Havana City

Powered by mp3skull.com

  • Nights out with El Pollo Loco and Los Ninos. We all know it was not always fun and perfect and I'd raise an eyebrow a lot more often than any sane woman approaching 30 would allow herself to, but I'd trade a few Sundays in Warsaw for just one Sunday night at 1830 or a sunset on the roof of our casa.

We had a thing for mirrors, shop windows, sunglasses, TV screens, lakes and rivers 

  • Meeting Amado and talking about the rumba, my academic dilemmas, concerts, politics, traditions and music

66 years of Clave y Guaguanco summed up in one afternoon

  • Cooking with Ana and talking about innovation and creativity in the kitchen and in art, dancing with Ana and learning about trust, partnerships, femininity and conquests. I am very grateful to Ana for washing away some of my cynicism and making a few very good points about belief and expectations.


Stories about the rumba down by the river in Matanzas
Rumba class with Ana
My first rumbera outfit

  • Ana's grandchildren and especially my best friend in Cuba, Malik, who one morning explained all I ever needed to know about Orisha traditions and then taught me how to dance. He is also the author of a very spectacular and experimental photo session that will be published here shortly.
One of the rare moments when Malik took a break from dancing
Malik and his partner dancing guaguanco
  • Rumba. I still feel awkward dancing it and I'm not exactly brilliant, maybe because I had already sold my soul to ballroom dancing before going to Cuba, but I do miss a good show. And my favorite rumberos, obviously. I couldn't stay 100% objective no matter how hard I tried.
Yoruba Andabo at Cabaret Las Vegas
Clave y Guaguanco at Palacio de la Rumba
Los Munequitos de Matanzas at Palacio de la Rumba
  • Cake!!!
Insanely sweet. Loved it. 
  • The sounds of the street since early morning. No other city will ever match the fabulous soundtrack of Havana. And I can't wait for a replay.
Juan Formell y Los Van Van - 10 - Agua

Powered by mp3skull.com

3 comments:

Biluś said...

What a beautiful post, so full of sunshine and passion - and I have to say you suit the rumbera outfit: spectacular!

Thanks for cheering up my monday morning :-)

Petrus said...

Such vivid post about the Cuba, music sample gives life for people in pictures! Your blog is fabulous :)

Ruxandra said...

:) looking forward to having the videos ready, do come back soon for some more Cuba!
Bilus, that's about all that suits me when it comes to rumba, the outfit... my dancing could use a bit of improvement.
Petrus, this is only a very small part of what Cuba has to offer, more to be shared in the upcoming weeks.