March 6, 2011

World Book Night

Celebrated on the 5th of March in the UK, it generated quite an impressive number of articles and blog posts lately, as well as debates, pros and cons and alternative ideas to celebrate it. Not that anybody made a big fuss over it in Poland. One of the proposals caught my attention and I could see no reason why I shouldn't go along with it: "Let's each of us buy a book, preferably from an actual bookshop, or direct from a publisher. Any book. Write inside it Given in the spirit of World Book Night, March 5th 2011, and bought from (insert name of shop) - please enjoy and tell people about it. And give it to someone. Anyone. A friend or stranger, a library or school or doctor's surgery or anything. Then go home, and enjoy whatever you're reading yourself" (Nicola Morgan). I actually like it so much I'm thinking of transforming it into a personal tradition. This year I felt I should start with a classic:
It is, indeed, a win-win situation, even though giving books to strangers in the streets of Warsaw might seem odd, but who cares, it all comes down to spreading the joy of reading.

In other news, I'm wondering if bachata will have the same fate as lambada did a while ago and if in lack of acting skills it really is possible to flirt with someone you're not attracted to. I'm also trying to come to terms with the fact that my academic interests have taken an unexpected turn and judging by the last months I'd say dance anthropology is here to stay, kicking literature's ass and shaping my (foreseeable) future away from publishing, or anything I'd have expected, for that matter. But it's fun, rewarding and amazing, so no need for useless complications here.

No comments: