August 30, 2010

The art of baking gingerbread

Let it never be said that my kitchen skills are limited to making coffee and toast. But for my talents to shine it takes a very special setting, super secret ingredients from far away lands, a magic spell and an oven that works miracles in less than three minutes. It is very likely that baking will not become part of my daily routine, but it was fun to experiment it in the Museum of Gingerbread in Torun.
While mixing the ingredients and rolling dough I found out that the essential ingredient for gingerbread is black pepper (?) and also the Polish names for different types of flour, which was definitely the most useless information I've gotten in ages, both from a practical and a linguistic point of view.




While waiting for the gingerbread to bake some of us had to kneel in front of the oven and pray, which was even more disturbing as we were supposed to do it in Polish. Luckily the Master of Gingerbread, under whose guidance we baked the cookies, read our impure thoughts about gingerbread and allowed us to finish our prayer before we even started it.


And finally, the proof that I can bake (and in case anyone has any doubts, my friend Karolina can give a firsthand account of this experience).



Baking gingerbread was just one of the highlights of our trip to Torun. We also found out about the end of art and accidentally participated in a wedding. But the best thing about it was that I finally came to understand some crucial aspects of my falling in and out of love with Warsaw. Soon to be revealed.

4 comments:

Biluś said...

Mmm lovely - also a plus is that I get a sneak preview of your tatt - tres chic :-)

chuckie said...

geeez. it's a good thing you said you "accidentally" attended a wedding. I was starting to freak out. do you still think you meeting brides brings bad luck?

Ruxandra said...

Thank you :) I am so happy with it, I think it goes with everything and fits in just about every setting. This was one of the best decisions I took this year.

Ruxandra said...

Chuckie, I'm not so sure about the bad luck anymore (I feel kinda lucky lately), but seeing a bride definitely makes me act strange - what other explanation can there be for baking?