July 20, 2010

Shift in perspective

It is my firm belief that it is impossible to "act like a local" while on vacation in a foreign city. Sure, maps and guides and booklets spice up their recommendations with tips and tricks for those who wish to take a closer look and enjoy "an authentic experience", but you are not a local until you become one. And that doesn't happen overnight and it's most of the times less pleasant than it might seem.
But is the opposite possible? After almost a year in Warsaw, could I still act like a tourist and not like the expat that I am? Would I still find it charming and spectacular, like I did during my first summer spent here? Can I reinvent the city that feels more "at home" than any other home I've ever had?


Two years ago, Warsaw would have been the best scenario for summer. Is it too late now? There's only one way to find out. Since I have to be here, I might as well pretend I'm on vacation and start planning accordingly.

2 comments:

Biluś said...

What an utterly inspirational idea! I'm going to do it here in Birmingham as well...

Ruxandra said...

Awesome :) Maybe you'd like to share the experience / experiment here, and I'll do the same in September, see if it's really possible to become tourists in our home towns (or almost home towns). Interested?