July 5, 2009

Rehab

I have no Internet. And I won't have any, for the rest of my stay in Katowice, because apparently people don't need it in the akademik during summer holidays. However, down the corridor there's this small room, which I suspect used to be the detention room, lurid, damp and cold, which is called "sala komputerowa". There's six computers at our disposal, they look shiny and neat and they supposedly have Internet. I couldn't really tell, since I couldn't plug any of them in, as they have no wires. Luckily, the library is still open until the 16th of July and there's one pub downtown where you can connect to the Internet. Maybe I can move there.
This morning I woke up to discover we also have no electricity or hot water. It's probably one of the unwritten rules of the student dorms in Katowice: if you decide to spend your summer here, you're in for a spiritual experience, even though you didn't ask for one. Spending quality time with yourself, with no connection to the world, hearing the birds sing once your laptop is out of battery, drying you hair in the sun and staying away from the guilty pleasure of fresh made coffee in the morning- is there anything more I could wish for?
It's still a good thing nothing's changed in the tent, we have coffee and electricity, I have friends who live nearby, they have Internet, so somehow everything will be alright. The best part is I got a good dose of energy and enthusiasm back in Bucharest, and I can only hope it will last.

Coming up soon: the untold stories from Bucharest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ruxandra,
I dreamt of you last night. Well - not exactly of you, but of your bathroom, which was a most uncommon combination of a series of variously shaped and sized restrooms and bathrooms. The bathtub itself, which was in the last of these rooms, had a long, thin blackboard above it, with some simple mathematical formulae written down in white chalk but only on its right half. I figured to myself you would do that while taking your baths - a time when... inspiration pops.
Well. I don't quite exactly expect it to resemble reality in any way. But do you think it may have any kind of ...err... psychological implications?
Yours truly,
C. Philip

Ruxandra said...

It doesn't resemble reality - what a relief. I'd probably be in a perpetual state of distress if I saw math-related stuff every time I took a bath. Not to mention that writing it would most likely make me go insane.
And I don't even want to think about the psychological implications. However, it might be a nice idea to mix & match bathrooms, once I'm in a normal, decent flat of my own. So maybe you could provide a drawing of the dream? :)

Anonymous said...

I think I should be out there for a while, taking photos of bathrooms and creating some sort of collage for you to get the true picture. :))
By all means, why not?

Ruxandra said...

Would you? That would be excellent. Let this be your new task... until we meet again :)